– Is there a strong sense of voice? Does writing seem honest, not stilted?
– Has the writer blended and correctly punctuated quotations?
– Check the sentences. Run ons? Fragments? Repetition? Variety in length? Good parallel structure?
– Have the dreaded you and one been avoided?
– Are the verbs interesting, descriptive, and active? When possible has the writer avoided am, is, are, was, were, be, being, been? Has verb tense been consistently maintained?
– If appropriate, has the writer used metaphor, humor, contemporary examples, etc.?